Donations help keep this page published

Donations help keep this blog going. Thank You!

Instagram!

Instagram

Sunday, March 22, 2015

My High ISO Test

I've been using a couple of Nikon APS-C format cameras for several years now. 

My newest is the consumer level model D3200. It's 18x24mm sensor has a pixel count of 24.1 meg. At regular ISO levels and in a variety of situations, it delivers some of the sharpest images I have ever seen in my own work. 

One of the things I had yet to try out, tho, was the high ISO mode. 


In normal ISO mode, it goes all the way up to 6400. I regularly use up to 1600 for some subjects. The quality at these high ISOs is very high, but the noise does start to increase. Noise in digital photography is akin to grain in film photography. Even at 3200, tho, the noise level was far below the grain level I had encountered when using pushed Tri-X or even T-Max 3200 Kodak 35mm films.

So, I tried the enhanced digital level called "Hi ISO" on my camera. Equivalent ISO of 12800!

I went outside tonight, about 100 minutes after sunset, semi light polluted sky, to photograph the crescent Moon (Earth's natural satellite) with Venus. Manually focusing, manual exposure based on astrophotography experience. At that high ISO, I could HAND HOLD this shot. 

Result:



My RAW files came in at 25.8 MB, converted down to jpeg for publication was the only image processing done. JPEG files came in at 6 MB.

You'll notice the noise level in the dark sky is very high. Even with that, tho, it's pixelated colours were still far less of an issue than an equivalent level of push processing film grain. There is actually detail in the earthlit portion of the Moon! The transition boundary of highlight to dark sky is also very clean.

Needless to say, I am very impressed. Any users of full frame cameras of recent manufacture will get even cleaner images. Check a site like DP Review for your specific camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment