Donations help keep this page published

Donations help keep this blog going. Thank You!

Instagram!

Instagram

Friday, July 15, 2016

Panoramic Rig

Setting up a new rig for my panoramic photography

I've been using a budget rig and adapting my procedures to make it all work out. Since I've been consistently getting the highest ratings from my contracted client, my procedures have obviously worked.

But, I want to be available for the higher end jobs for my client, so I updated my equipment. 

Still, I didn't want to break the bank, so I even upgraded on a budget!

You can do that. Buy used. Used, refurbished, demos, all are good sources of quality equipment at bargain prices. 

You have to find places you can trust, tho. I picked up an 8 year old camera with almost no use at all for about 1/8th of its price when brand new. Sure, there is a new upgraded version of the camera in the brand's current line up, but did I want to pay almost $1800 more for that brand new camera? Or, could I use the high end features and quality of the used high end camera? I chose used.

The fisheye lens, too. I saved $500 by scouring the internet for a usable version. 

So far, I saved $2300.

The tripod set up I use is over 30 years old. Yep, I bought it in 1981. The same model is still for sale. Around $350. I can't recall how much I paid back when, so let's just call this a little more than 1/2 off, or $150 or so.

The one brand new item was my panoramic mount. There are several on the market, from $200 to $950. The most common brand/model is about $300. I found thru a multitude of reviews that the $200 brand is exactly the same, just not well known. So, a no brainer for Mr Budget. Another $100 saved. 

Even from discount sources, all brand new and current equipment would have been about $2500 or so more than what I have invested. For a rig that has no substantial difference in quality or use for my specific job needs. 

Want to know what I got?


(This was me calibrating the rig) 

I'm using a Nikon D300, Sigma 8mm f/4.0, Panosaurus 2.0 nodal point mount,  Bogen (now Manfrotto) 3021 legs plus 3028 head.

New models would be D500 (D7200 would work but is missing a few vital features), Sigma 8mm f/3.5, Nodal Ninja MkII, and Manfrotto tripod.


No comments:

Post a Comment